15:03:04 <cait> #startmeeting Koha Developer IRC meeting, 2 September 2014 - part 1
15:03:04 <huginn> Meeting started Tue Sep  2 15:03:04 2014 UTC.  The chair is cait. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:03:04 <huginn> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
15:03:04 <huginn> The meeting name has been set to 'koha_developer_irc_meeting__2_september_2014___part_1'
15:03:07 <ashimema> there are a bunch of 'extra' topic on the trello.. but I suggest we stick to the wiki agenda to start with.
15:03:08 <cait> welcome :)
15:03:13 <cait> #topic Introductions
15:03:13 <wahanui> #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
15:03:23 <cait> please introduce yourself like wahanui with #info
15:03:30 <cait> #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ, Germany, QAM
15:03:40 <ashimema> #info Martin Renvoize, PTFS-Europe, QA Team
15:03:41 <ztajoli> #info Zeno Tajoli, CINECA (Italy)
15:03:44 <tcohen> #info Tomas Cohen Arazi, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba
15:03:50 <mtompset> #info Mark Tompsett, Canada
15:03:57 <ColinC> #info Colin Campbell, PTFS Europe, UK
15:04:09 <Joubu> #info Jonathan Druart, BibLibre, France
15:04:41 <cait> #topic RM 3.18 comments
15:04:53 <druthb> #info D Ruth Bavousett, in and out, no one of any importance
15:04:54 <cait> handing over to tcohen :)
15:05:02 <tcohen> hi
15:05:02 <wahanui> bonjour, tcohen
15:05:12 <atheia> hello
15:05:13 <wahanui> hello, atheia
15:05:28 <tcohen> i've started pushing new features that were sitting on the PQA queue
15:05:30 <oleonard> #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries
15:05:35 <tcohen> notably SRU
15:06:03 <atheia> #info Alex Sassmannshausen, PTFS Europe, UK
15:06:09 <ashimema> tcohen++
15:06:10 <tcohen> i'd also like to mention that i've been working on retrieving facets from zebra
15:06:29 <cait> tcohen++
15:06:31 <tcohen> which is already functional, but i'm missing unit tests for it
15:06:38 <cait> yay!
15:06:39 * ashimema has tested tcohens zebra faceting.. so far so good..
15:06:46 <cait> ashimema: is it speedy?
15:06:57 <tcohen> what i've got so far is here: https://github.com/tomascohen/koha/tree/bug_11232_facets_from_zebra
15:07:16 <Joubu> (tcohen: arf, too bad, you didn't win beers :p)
15:07:17 <tcohen> once i have unit tests for it, i'll attach to bz
15:07:26 <ashimema> It 'feels' quicker.. but I've not yet done any proper measurements..
15:07:31 <tcohen> Joubu: i have time, until thursday
15:07:37 <tcohen> :-D
15:07:44 <cait> why thursday?
15:07:52 <ashimema> It also feels like it's giving more relevant facets to me.. but i'm no librarian.. was going to ask a customer to take a look
15:07:53 * jcamins waves.
15:07:56 <tcohen> its a super secret bet i put
15:08:05 <jcamins> #info Jared Camins-Esakov, C & P Bibliography Services
15:08:22 <cait> ashimema++ too
15:09:07 <tcohen> i expect people related to Search code to step in
15:09:28 <mtompset> I will definitely test 11232 once you post it all up and good. :)
15:09:39 <tcohen> other thing that i'm worried about is the UTF-8 work, but we have space to discuss later
15:09:42 <mtompset> Because it will affect how we hide things. :)
15:09:45 <reiveune> bye
15:10:33 <cait> hm bit late but
15:10:39 <cait> #info agenda http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Development_IRC_meeting,_2_September_2014
15:11:00 <cait> #info tcohen has working code for retrieving facets from zebra, will write unit tests until Thursday
15:11:21 <tcohen> hi jcamins
15:11:31 <cait> move on?
15:11:34 <tcohen> ok, moving on
15:11:37 <tcohen> ^^^^^ that
15:11:44 <cait> #topic Cleanup UTF-8
15:11:57 <tcohen> Joubu
15:12:06 <Joubu> hum?
15:12:23 <cait> what's the status? :)
15:12:24 <Joubu> I don't have something new to tell
15:12:25 <tcohen> what is the current status?
15:12:27 <wahanui> i guess the current status is "Failed QA"
15:12:34 <tcohen> ok
15:12:49 <ztajoli> I can say that Paola Rossi and I we have finish to test it
15:12:49 <Joubu> tcohen: the status is needs signoff
15:12:58 <cait> #info Bug 11944 Cleanup Koha UTF-8
15:13:00 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11944 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Cleanup Koha UTF-8
15:13:01 <cait> #link bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11944
15:13:06 <ztajoli> the result is on the wiki
15:13:17 <cait> #info wiki page: http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Handling_UTF8_in_development
15:13:19 <Joubu> (still signoff by dpavlin and ztajoli)
15:13:34 <ztajoli> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Handling_UTF8_in_development
15:13:45 <tcohen> ok, so RM comments on this
15:13:49 <cait> ztajoli: can you sign off or are there specific problems to be solved still?
15:14:32 <ztajoli> We do the test using biblibre specific git branch.
15:14:42 <bag> morning
15:14:42 <wahanui> morning is a state of cat
15:15:03 <tcohen> the patches are working
15:15:08 <ztajoli> We can sign-off with master for last test if is all OK
15:15:09 <cait> ztajoli: you said finished testing - is it signed off or failed qa? :)
15:15:14 <tcohen> involved people have extensibly tested the results
15:15:43 <ztajoli> In my opinion is 'signed off' as result
15:15:46 <tcohen> can we have it signed off?
15:15:57 <ztajoli> but it a wide change
15:16:08 <tcohen> gmcharlt: around?
15:16:09 <Joubu> tcohen: I am not it is relevant to add the SO status on all the patches
15:16:32 <Joubu> I maitain the branch, it's up-to-date. It's easier to maintain that the patches on the bug report
15:16:33 <cait> ... support call :(
15:17:47 <Joubu> The patches should be pushed to master quickly. If we wait 1month before the 3.18 release, it will be too late and too dangerous (too late to fix bugs).
15:17:55 <ztajoli> So, I don't know what to do now
15:19:02 <Joubu> ztajoli: you can switch the status to signoff, don't update the patches.
15:19:11 <tcohen> has anyone thought on how to have regression tests for this?
15:19:22 <tcohen> that is my main concern
15:19:26 <ashimema> I was about to ask that tcohen..
15:19:28 <ztajoli> But to do QA ?
15:19:33 <Joubu> no, I don't know
15:19:42 <tcohen> i volunteered to do something about it, but didn't manage to have the time
15:19:55 <ashimema> do we need to introduce any further processes to qa.. or the coding guidelines to ensure we don't hit this issue again.
15:20:25 <Joubu> ashimema: we should add use cgi -utf8
15:20:36 <Joubu> easy to add to the qa script
15:20:38 <gmcharlt> OK
15:20:41 <tcohen> I think C4::Templates should be tested somehow
15:21:18 <gmcharlt> as far as testing is concerned ... what we need is testing via LWP::UserAgent or the equivalent
15:21:29 <ashimema> Joubu.. that was exactly the sort of answer i was hoping for ;)
15:21:44 <gmcharlt> that automates passing and receiving text and verifies that it comes back with appropriate coding
15:22:36 <ColinC> If adding a use cgi -utf8 be clear on the cases where you definitely do not want to use that
15:23:03 <tcohen> gmcharlt: that needs apache running, right?
15:23:13 <gmcharlt> yeah, given that we have several places where binary input needs to be uploaded
15:23:34 <gmcharlt> tcohen: yes
15:23:47 * mtompset steps out for 1.5 hours.
15:23:48 <gmcharlt> that could be managed either with a self-contained config
15:23:56 <tcohen> gmcharlt: should those tests be prepared to be run on jenkins?
15:24:24 <gmcharlt> or, for dev machines, perhaps by taking advantage of multiple-Apache-instance support on Deb/Ubuntu
15:24:26 <gmcharlt> tcohen: IMO, yes
15:25:02 <tcohen> so we need to test plain templates, templates using template plugins
15:25:13 <tcohen> pages retireving binary data
15:25:16 <tcohen> what else?
15:25:59 <gmcharlt> certain function tests
15:26:17 <gmcharlt> - searching patrons with/without diacritics
15:26:24 <gmcharlt> - search patrons with both NFC and NFD forms
15:26:38 <gmcharlt> - collation in SQL query results
15:27:29 <Joubu> Unit tests are requested for 2 months and nobody wrote them. So I am not sure we will find someone to write them.
15:27:40 <ashimema> silly question.. if we're doing the big db shift to utf8_unicode_ci.. should we not make the jump to utf8mb8_unicode_ci instead?
15:27:55 <ashimema> to inlcude the entire character set.. not mysql's abridged one?
15:28:52 <Joubu> ashimema: utf8mb8?
15:29:03 <gmcharlt> ashimema: not a silly question; at first glance, doing that seems sensible
15:29:08 <gmcharlt> Joubu: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-unicode-utf8mb4.html
15:29:09 <ashimema> Joubu: https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/mysql-utf8mb4
15:29:40 <tcohen> do we need to test through apache our cgi scripts? can't we just use a sensible IO layer ?
15:29:43 <ashimema> in short.. when mysql implimented utf8 first time around.. they got it worng and only included like half the character set..
15:29:48 <ashimema> mb4 is the solution to that.
15:30:03 <gmcharlt> Joubu: I will write tests; I realize I have been saying that all summer, but I /do/ want to get the improvements into 3.18 and will work to make that happen
15:30:10 <gmcharlt> tcohen: we need full-stack testing, IMO
15:30:21 <tcohen> ok
15:30:36 * tcohen volunteers to help gmcharlt
15:30:54 <Joubu> gmcharlt: Are you sure we need UT before pushing the patches?
15:31:09 <Joubu> if we need UT to catch regression, we can wait for UT
15:31:32 <Joubu> if the changes are pushed, all developers will catch errors
15:33:48 <ashimema> #info gmcharlt & tcohen are going to write some tests for utf8 regressions
15:34:19 <ashimema> caits on the phone so isn't moving the meeting forward at the minute..
15:34:28 <cait> sorry had a call to answer - do i have to do something? reading back as fast as I can
15:34:35 <ashimema> is there anything to agree on regarding the above then.. or shall we move on.
15:34:38 <tcohen> i'll resign my beers jcamins, to have some time for the utf8 unit tests
15:34:39 <ashimema> cait your back..
15:34:45 * ashimema hans back the reighns
15:35:21 <ztajoli> So I put the bug 11944 as 'Signed OFF'
15:35:23 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11944 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Cleanup Koha UTF-8
15:35:38 <ztajoli> QA based on biblibre branch
15:35:51 <gmcharlt> Joubu: tcohen and I are in a sidebar conversation about timing, one moment
15:36:03 <ashimema> :)
15:36:07 <ztajoli> If it ok, insert in master to test
15:37:24 <cait> #action gmcharlt will write unit tests
15:37:33 <tcohen> we will set a deadline of 9/19 for this work
15:38:31 <tcohen> ok?
15:38:36 <tcohen> Joubu: ?
15:38:59 <Joubu> tcohen: You are the RM :)
15:39:03 <cait> 9/19?
15:39:04 <wahanui> 0.473684210526316
15:39:07 <cait> september 19
15:39:10 <ashimema> 19/09/2014
15:39:21 <ashimema> sounds good to me tcohen..
15:39:27 <cait> the deadline is for unit tests?
15:39:30 <ashimema> info it cait.. then they can't forget ;)
15:39:32 <tcohen> cait: yes
15:39:40 <cait> #info deadline for utf-8 unit tests is 19 September
15:39:43 <ztajoli> In same time anyone do generic QA on the patch ?
15:40:23 <cait> I don't have the time currently - probably not much time the next 2 weeks
15:40:26 <cait> or a bit longer
15:40:33 <ashimema> I'll take a look at qa on it.. to start with anyways..
15:40:53 <ashimema> I'm quietly coersing cait to collaborate on qa for it in another window ;)
15:41:08 <cait> #action ashimema will start QA on it
15:41:12 <ashimema> just me then..
15:41:31 * cait doesn't see another window
15:41:38 <cait> :P
15:41:49 <cait> #action cait will try to help, but won't have much time the next 2 weeks or a bit longer
15:41:55 <ashimema> the misses won't like me much.. think it's gonna have to reside as an evenings job.. but certainly important one to get in.
15:42:09 * cait thinks we should send the misses cookies
15:42:09 <ashimema> shall we move on
15:42:31 <cait> do we have something for the coding guidelines?
15:42:43 <cait> #topic Additions to coding guidelines
15:42:55 <tcohen> 2 spaces for tt files :-P
15:43:02 * cait hasn't seen that
15:43:24 <cait> if noone has a proposition, can we move on to the next topic? ;)
15:43:43 <tcohen> move on
15:43:57 <cait> #topic Bugs
15:44:17 <Joubu> ashimema: problems can be on search results (facets, resort, etc.)
15:44:38 <cait> anyone wants to talk about his/her favourite bug? :)
15:44:45 <ashimema> Cheers Joubu.. i'll pay special attention to those
15:44:49 <cait> you can also do so in the next topic :)
15:44:52 <tcohen> i'd like to mention bug 12788, which solves a regression on 3.16
15:44:53 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=12788 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Signed Off , Refine search displays 4xx fields from authority records
15:44:54 <Joubu> cait: certainly.
15:44:54 <wahanui> certainly is confusing.. thanks for bringing ashimema's attention to it.
15:45:13 <Joubu> We should fix the issue about marc mod template
15:45:26 <Joubu> but I am asking for 10 months
15:45:39 * Joubu stops to complain
15:45:40 <cait> #info bug 12788 SO - Refine search displays 4xx fields from authority records
15:45:50 <tcohen> which bug is that Joubu
15:45:51 <cait> i think marcelr started but then got stuck somewhere
15:45:54 <cait> what's the current status?
15:45:55 <wahanui> well, the current status is "Failed QA"
15:46:01 <Joubu> cait: NQA
15:46:44 <ashimema> cait: you wanted to promote bug 10212
15:46:44 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=10212 new feature, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Master , Columns configuration for tables
15:46:57 <cait> heh yes
15:47:23 <ashimema> i.e. lets get developers using the column configuration stuff more widely
15:47:26 <Joubu> I sent patches for bugs in architecture/plumbing. The need signoff.
15:47:26 <cait> Joubu: coudl you send me a reminder about the bug numbers? or leave a comment on the first one?
15:47:27 <ashimema> not sure how to achieve this
15:48:03 <Joubu> cait: 11395 and others
15:48:06 <cait> i think letting people knwo it's there is a first step
15:48:46 <Joubu> ashimema: I will try to integrate the columns conf for tables in the acq module on rewriting the tax stuff.
15:48:47 <cait> Joubu: i made a note
15:48:57 <ashimema> hmm.. maybe add reference to it on the datatables wiki page.
15:49:07 <ashimema> :) yeay Joubu
15:49:10 <cait> ashimema: that a good idea
15:49:17 <ashimema> I'll do that cait.
15:49:18 <cait> a note to the devle list maybe too?
15:49:35 <cait> i think it will only be useful when we start using it for other tables besides currencies :)
15:50:00 <cait> acq will be great
15:50:01 <ashimema> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/DataTables_HowTo is the page I'm going to add to
15:50:33 <ashimema> any dbic experts care to weight in on bug 11518
15:50:34 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11518 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Needs Signoff , Add new method to Koha::Schema::Result::Item that will always return the correct itemtype
15:50:36 <cait> #action ashimema is going to add a note about Columns configuration (bug 10212) to the wiki (http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/DataTables_HowTo)
15:50:47 <Joubu> I need feedbacks on bug 12826
15:50:48 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=12826 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, ASSIGNED , GST / VAT rewrite - plumbing
15:50:49 <ashimema> the last followup patches..
15:51:14 <ashimema> the also affect bug 12603 I beleive
15:51:15 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=12603 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, yohann.dufour, Signed Off , TestBuilder - Module to simplify the writing of tests
15:52:23 <Joubu> Something else, I am going to wake bug 11926 up
15:52:24 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11926 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, ASSIGNED , Render community koha statistic usages
15:52:53 <cait> ok, i am getting a bit lost about teh #info s - please add one yourself for those  i missed
15:52:54 <Joubu> I would like to know if some companies/libraries is candidate for testing it
15:53:46 <Joubu> #info Feedback needed on bugs 11518, 12826 and 12603
15:54:55 <ashimema> I'm keen on 11926 Joubu.. but would need to discus with some customers/colleagues first regarding data collection policies
15:55:24 <Joubu> ashimema: It can be anonymous
15:55:56 <ztajoli> I plan to test GST / VAT.
15:55:57 <ashimema> Indeed.. but I still need to check that it's ok to collect such data at all..
15:56:05 <Joubu> ashimema: the data will be pref values, library name (or not), volumetry (patrons, records)
15:56:17 <ztajoli> As I see the first to sign-off is 12827
15:56:20 <Joubu> ashimema: yes, of course :)
15:56:28 <ashimema> :)
15:57:08 <ztajoli> Generaly speaking we can work on 'sign-off'
15:57:16 <ashimema> cait.. I think you also wnated to raise a question about bug 11625 adn bug 11747
15:57:18 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11625 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, In Discussion , Default to logged in library for circ rules and notices & slips
15:57:19 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11747 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, In Discussion , Default to logged in library for Overdue notice/status triggers
15:57:37 <cait> ashimema: maybe better for the next meeting :)
15:57:37 <ashimema> regarding 'default select branch' and how it should be handled?
15:58:25 <cait> ztajoli: does paola have a nickname?
15:58:30 <Joubu> ztajoli: Actually it's the most important bottleneck!
15:58:33 <ztajoli> no
15:58:38 <cait> ztajoli++, paola++ :)
15:58:55 <cait> yep sign offs are quite important
15:59:00 <cait> please keep up the good work
15:59:01 <Joubu> ztajoli: Paole does a wonderful job on signoff
15:59:02 <ashimema> serverside handling of datatables..
15:59:03 <ztajoli> Paole doesn't like to be present on chat
15:59:15 <cait> ztajoli: please tell her we love her work :)
15:59:18 <ztajoli> So I speak also for here
15:59:23 <Joubu> (Paola, sorry)
15:59:34 <ashimema> tcohen, Joubu.. do either of you have any thoughts on standardising where code should live?
15:59:34 <ztajoli> No problem if you write her
16:00:03 <tcohen> ashimema: elaborate?
16:00:16 <Joubu> ashimema: yes please :)
16:00:36 <ashimema> currently but 9811 puts the backend code for the datatables ajax code in one place.. and bug 11703 puts it in a completely different place..
16:00:38 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11703 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Pushed to Master , Convert checkouts table to ajax datatable
16:00:55 <ashimema> it's hard to qa such a thing withough a rule to refer to in the guidelines somewhere.
16:01:16 <ashimema> C4/Utils/Datatables and /srv are the two places so far i've spotted this issue.
16:01:37 <Joubu> ashimema: C4::Utils::Datatables uses a script in svc
16:01:48 <ashimema> (we have similar problems for the api for instance).. but I thought I'd try and grab the datatables one before either plce become to prevatlent.
16:01:50 <Joubu> svc/members/search
16:01:51 <tcohen> all business logic should be packaged and testable
16:02:39 <tcohen> endpoint/routing code should be clean and unimportant in terms of complexity
16:04:11 <ashimema> I think maybe save that debate for the next meeting..
16:04:23 * cait tends to agree
16:04:35 <Joubu> ashimema: does your question only about DT ?
16:04:41 <ashimema> There's a bunch of stuff still to discuss in the dev meeting trello board..
16:04:48 <ashimema> in this case it was only about DT..
16:05:00 <tcohen> ok, i have to leave
16:05:02 <ashimema> but there's the more general cases out there..
16:05:07 <cait> i think we need to wrap up for tody
16:05:11 <cait> tcohen: when for the next meeting?
16:05:22 <tcohen> there's a lot to talk about in the pipe
16:05:28 <tcohen> next week
16:05:28 <wahanui> hmmm... next week is project week
16:05:37 <cait> forget next week
16:05:39 <wahanui> cait: I forgot next week
16:05:42 <ashimema> same time next week ;)
16:05:44 <tcohen> the next otherwise
16:05:45 <cait> ok... same day?
16:05:49 * tcohen agrees
16:05:52 <tcohen> same day/time
16:06:04 <cait> #topic Agree on time for next meeting
16:06:19 <cait> that would be september 9th, 15 + 22
16:06:21 <cait> UTC
16:06:32 <Joubu> +1
16:06:43 <ztajoli> +1
16:07:01 <cait> #agreed Next meeting will be (given agreement from second meeting today) - September 9th, 15 + 22 UTC
16:07:05 <cait> #endmeeting