19:02:56 <kidclamp> #startmeeting Development IRC meeting 12 April 2017
19:02:56 <huginn`> Meeting started Wed Apr 12 19:02:56 2017 UTC.  The chair is kidclamp. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:02:56 <huginn`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
19:02:56 <huginn`> The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting_12_april_2017'
19:03:08 <kidclamp> #topic Introductions
19:03:08 <wahanui> #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
19:03:17 <kidclamp> #info Nick Clemens, ByWater Solutions
19:03:28 <mveron> Hi # koha
19:03:37 <kidclamp> meeting mveron?
19:03:42 <mveron> #info Marc Véron, Koha Support Schweiz, www.koha-support.ch
19:03:51 <barton> #info Barton Chittenden, BWS, Louisville KY, USA
19:04:45 <AdamB> #info Adam Brooks, ByWater Solutions
19:04:56 <kidclamp> meeting ashimema Joubu cait?
19:05:08 <CrispyBran> #info Christopher Brannon, Cooperative Information Network/Coeur d'Alene Public Library, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
19:05:31 <bag> #info bag brendan gallagher bywater
19:06:33 <kidclamp> looks to be a light meeting :-)
19:06:46 <kidclamp> #topic Announcements
19:06:55 <kidclamp> anyone?
19:06:56 <wahanui> Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
19:08:31 <kidclamp> well - khall is gone for the day, cait mtj juliam are not here so release updates are lacking
19:08:42 <cait> sorry on phone
19:08:44 <cait> everything will be on time
19:08:55 <cait> string freeze on 15th, release on 22nd
19:08:58 <kidclamp> #topic Update from Release maintainers
19:09:12 <kidclamp> info 16.11.x string freeze on 15th, release on 22nd
19:09:40 <Joubu> (sorry not around)
19:09:45 <kidclamp> #topic Updates from the QA team
19:09:54 <kidclamp> no worries Joubu
19:10:17 <kidclamp> We have a good amoutn of patches in the queue and NSO queue is growing
19:10:48 <kidclamp> Everyone should read Joubu's email and encourage more involvement
19:11:51 <kidclamp> #info joubu sent  What's on in koha-devel #11, please read and encourage involvement
19:12:10 <kidclamp> any one else have bugs to highlight?
19:12:23 <kidclamp> #topic General development discussion (trends, ideas, ...)
19:12:33 <kidclamp> I just had two things to mention
19:12:45 <kidclamp> #topic Elasticsearch status
19:13:03 <kidclamp> There are a number of open bugs, I am testing what I can and submitting patches
19:13:24 <kidclamp> We need more testers to help us identify what needs to be improved and to help keep patches moving
19:13:40 <kidclamp> Kohadevbox installs ES and makes it very easy to test it out
19:13:53 <kidclamp> I will send an email with more specific bug numbers asap
19:14:12 <kidclamp> #info ES needs testers and patchers, talk to kidclamp if you have questions
19:14:42 <kidclamp> comments?
19:14:43 <wahanui> comments are turned on
19:15:16 <kidclamp> #topic Noisy logs
19:15:35 <CrispyBran> When you send out that e-mail, can you include specifics to ES use in kohadevbox?
19:15:58 <kidclamp> CrispyBran, sure, kohadevbox instructions should include it too but wil highlight
19:16:23 <kidclamp> We have notices lots of noisy warns in production on value comparison with uninitialized values
19:16:28 <kidclamp> bug 18400 is an example
19:16:28 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18400 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Needs Signoff , Noisy warns in opac-search.pl during itemtype sorting
19:16:53 <kidclamp> these may be data related but are causing huge numbers of errors in logs
19:17:10 <kidclamp> will bring this up at next meeting or in lists
19:17:22 <kidclamp> Anyone else have announcements?
19:17:49 <cait> kidclamp: about ES - is there any current documentaion/overview right now?
19:17:52 <cait> i think it would help
19:17:59 <cait> sorry, just reading back
19:18:20 <kidclamp> docs on how to use? or what is to be expected?
19:18:28 <cait> what works/is exepcted
19:18:31 <cait> to wor
19:18:32 <cait> k
19:18:35 <kidclamp> :-)
19:19:11 <kidclamp> basically most things should work - otherwise search bugzilla for 'elastic' and those thigns might now
19:19:29 <cait> hm ok
19:19:51 <kidclamp> bug 18318
19:19:51 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18318 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , Unicode support for Elasticsearch
19:20:22 <kidclamp> ES is different from zebra, so some things are learning
19:20:35 <kidclamp> partial terms don't find things, you must add a '*'
19:20:42 <kidclamp> bug 18374
19:20:42 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18374 major, P3, ---, nick, Failed QA , Respect QueryAutoTruncate syspref in Elasticsearch
19:20:56 <kidclamp> but we need to decide if we want to try and auto truncate, or train suers
19:20:59 <kidclamp> users
19:21:22 <kidclamp> but testers are needed to tell us what they expect and it doesn't do
19:22:26 <kidclamp> unicode support is big and necessary
19:23:35 <kidclamp> I am trying to get an organized chain of thought together to send out cait
19:23:43 <kidclamp> instead of just me shouting things :-)
19:24:22 <barton> kidclamp: what's not working in respect to unicode in elastic?
19:24:40 <kidclamp> currently all characters must be exactly searched for
19:25:04 <kidclamp> there are no equivalencies between accented and unaccented characters
19:25:17 <barton> gotcha.
19:25:24 <kidclamp> so pokemon <> pokémon
19:26:25 <kidclamp> no coding guidelines on agenda, so I think we just have to set next meeting (and hope is a better time for all)
19:26:26 <kidclamp> :-D
19:26:34 <eythian> I'm somewhat sure that can be defined, but I've never looked at it.
19:27:03 <kidclamp> I changed 18318 to NSO - there is a patch there - basically makes it use the unicode plugin and analyzers
19:28:04 <kidclamp> Next meeting: April 26th
19:28:21 <kidclamp> 13 UTC
19:28:25 <kidclamp> any objections?
19:29:20 <barton> real quick, should we talk about the database update that was hanging?
19:29:29 <barton> ^^ kidclamp.
19:29:53 <kidclamp> the floor is yours barton
19:31:45 <barton> larryb was running upgrades from 3.22, there's a database update to add itemtypes to statistics where type='return'.
19:32:01 <barton> ... this ended up taking 12 hours on one of our sites.
19:33:09 <kidclamp> bug 14598
19:33:09 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=14598 major, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , itemtype is not set on statistics by C4::Circulation::AddReturn
19:33:46 <kidclamp> the db update to 'guess' the type in statistics is panifully slow on large statistics tables
19:33:46 <barton> kidclamp: do you know if larryb filed a bug about the upgrade itself?
19:33:54 <kidclamp> I do not
19:33:57 <bag> usually that doesn’t happen barbara
19:34:01 <bag> ha! barton
19:34:12 <bag> auto-tab fail :)
19:34:31 <kidclamp> #info bug 14598 DB update can be very slow/problematic in production sites with large statistics tables
19:34:42 <kidclamp> I would say file a bug and announce to lists barton
19:34:58 <barton> will do kidclamp.
19:35:11 <kidclamp> #info Next Meeting: 26 April, 2017, 13 UTC
19:35:22 <kidclamp> last chance anyone :-)
19:35:33 <barton> it caused enough consternation that I figured that is deserved to be more widely known ;-)
19:35:44 <kidclamp> barton++
19:35:54 <kidclamp> #endmeeting