21:00:08 <Joubu> #startmeeting Development IRC meeting 12 July 2017
21:00:08 <huginn> Meeting started Wed Jul 12 21:00:08 2017 UTC.  The chair is Joubu. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
21:00:08 <huginn> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
21:00:08 <huginn> The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting_12_july_2017'
21:00:17 <Joubu> #topic Introductions
21:00:17 <wahanui> #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
21:00:21 <Joubu> #info Jonathan Druart
21:00:29 <pianohacker> #info Jesse Weaver
21:02:19 <Joubu> exciting
21:02:21 <pianohacker> no kidding
21:02:24 <Joubu> rangi, bag, barton: around?
21:02:35 <TGoat> I'll try to get them
21:03:24 <barton> Joubu: Just barely -- I need to prep for a talk at my Linux User Group meeting tonight.
21:03:30 <TGoat> I let them knoiw they're being requested to the #Koha channel
21:03:48 <Joubu> #topic Announcements
21:03:52 <barton> but I'll hang out while prepping :-)
21:03:55 <Joubu> #info I am going to share the result of the poll beginning of next week.
21:04:10 <Joubu> #info Next "what's on in koha-devel" email should be ready soon
21:04:15 <thd> #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
21:04:29 <Joubu> I will certainly complain a lot, no need to complain here...
21:04:30 <caboose-afk> #info Michael Cabus, Princeton, NJ
21:04:46 <Joubu> Not a lot of attendees and I guess nobody read the IRC log (if you do, send me an email :))
21:04:59 <Joubu> anyone else?
21:05:17 <Joubu> #topic Update from the Release Manager (17.11)
21:05:28 <Joubu> #info Few refactoring patches have been pushed this week. It highlighted a problem with item type, I sent an email to koha-devel to get feedback
21:05:58 <Joubu> #info I also sent an email today about the MySQL AI behaviours that caused us lot of trouble. Review and test the procedures on the wiki page please. There is also a patch on the bug report for the alert message on the about page (bug 18931)
21:05:58 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18931 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Add a "data corrupted" section on the about page
21:06:24 <Joubu> skipping updates from Rmains and QAers...
21:06:36 <Joubu> #topic General development discussion (trends, ideas, ...)
21:06:56 <Joubu> pianohacker: your turn to monologue
21:07:10 <pianohacker> all right
21:07:27 <pianohacker> I've been starting work on reviving bug 15522
21:07:27 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=15522 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jweaver, ASSIGNED , New interface for revamped circulation rules
21:08:00 <caboose-afk> nice I've been wanting that
21:08:15 <pianohacker> As part of that, I would very much like to use React, but there have issues with pulling React into our frontend; I have an idea that might help with some of them
21:08:22 <pianohacker> #link https://github.com/pianohacker/koha/commit/d8fea298d6615da95f2be908cae202379f11940a
21:08:31 <barton> #info Barton Chittenden, BWS
21:08:32 <pianohacker> the above is a very very minimal proof of concept
21:09:04 <caboose-afk> nice
21:09:11 <pianohacker> but the basic idea is a) to use prebundled versions of React, so we don't need to add a JS package manager
21:09:25 <pianohacker> and b) to show React code without ES6 or JSX
21:09:57 <pianohacker> the commit above directly brings in prebundled packages from unpkg.com, but these could easily be added to the Koha source tree instead
21:10:37 <Joubu> #info pianohacker is working on reviving bug 15522 (revamp circ rules)
21:10:44 <pianohacker> I would very much like feedback on the above; I think it's a low-friction, minimal-change way to bring in a nicer UI framework
21:10:55 <caboose-afk> I'd be on board for feedback
21:11:03 <thd> Will there be a graceful fallback for noscript?
21:11:23 <pianohacker> excellent :)
21:11:44 <Joubu> pianohacker: personnaly I am more wondering "what" instead of "how". The mockup image you put on the wiki is no longer available
21:11:56 <Joubu> and IIRC there were concerns about the UI
21:12:18 <pianohacker> thd: this interface would strongly depend on JS, but the old interface could perhaps be preserved?
21:12:27 <Joubu> before starting the tt part it would be great to show people (to get feedback and ideas) what you are doing
21:12:53 <caboose-afk> I've been rethinking that interface..if that UI doc is gone I can get together what I was thinking
21:12:54 <Joubu> that will be a good way to interest them and so find testers easily (maybe...)
21:13:11 <pianohacker> Joubu: oh, absolutely; that needs some work, though, and I want to figure out this piece as well
21:13:24 <Joubu> the staff interface does not work without JS, it's completely out of the discussion here
21:13:42 <pianohacker> I'll be posting an updated wireframe soon for feedback
21:13:47 <caboose-afk> nice
21:14:42 <pianohacker> long story short; the UI needs to be discussed, but for now I would like to know if this is a viable way to bring in React. Not much of a quorum here; do we send this to the mailing list?
21:14:51 <Joubu> pianohacker: I think we (core team) more or less agreed on React at the last KohaCon in Marseille, so I do not think it will be an issue
21:15:12 <Joubu> prove us and show us how nice it is, and I am sure we will follow you ;)
21:15:20 <pianohacker> okay, cool :) will do
21:15:28 <wizzyrea> pianohacker!
21:15:29 <wahanui> regexes are AWESOME
21:15:36 <Joubu> keep in mind 1. release early and 2. small steps :)
21:15:54 <pianohacker> I was also curious about bug 15395, but that can wait until later
21:15:54 <huginn> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=15395 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, julian.maurice, Signed Off , Allow correct handling of plural translation
21:15:55 <pianohacker> hi wizzyrea :)
21:16:18 <wizzyrea> sorry I see you and I get excited :)
21:16:24 <Joubu> I would send an email to the general list with the mockup and more generally with what you have in mind (ergonomic)
21:16:53 <Joubu> and 1 the koha-devel with the commits and testable code
21:16:57 <Joubu> to*
21:17:59 <Joubu> pianohacker: what is the questions about 15395?
21:18:00 <pianohacker> I'll probably just put together a super-bare-bones React version, so both the general UI and the underlying code can be examined
21:18:41 <pianohacker> Joubu: whether it's likely to move forward, and anything that can be done to help it along
21:19:39 <Joubu> you can let a note and/or ask the QA team to take a look
21:19:53 <pianohacker> kk will do
21:20:02 <pianohacker> that's all from me
21:20:32 <Joubu> thanks
21:20:38 <Joubu> anybody else?
21:20:53 <Joubu> #topic Set time of next meeting
21:21:09 <Joubu> #info Next meeting: July 26, 14 UTC
21:21:13 <Joubu> #endmeeting