14:16:04 <kidclamp> #startmeeting Development IRC meeting 13 February 2019
14:16:04 <huginn`> Meeting started Wed Feb 13 14:16:04 2019 UTC.  The chair is kidclamp. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:16:04 <huginn`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:16:04 <huginn`> The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting_13_february_2019'
14:16:07 <kidclamp> khall
14:16:12 <kidclamp> #topic Introductions
14:16:23 <tcohen> #info Tomás Cohen Arazi, Theke Solutions
14:16:24 <kidclamp> #info Nick Clemens, ByWater Solutions
14:16:30 <ashimema> #info Martin Renvoize - PTFS Europe
14:16:30 <oleonard> #info Owen Leonard Athens County Public Libraries, Ohio, USA
14:16:39 <mng1> #info Mengu Yazicioglu, Devinim Software, Turkey
14:16:47 <fridolin1> #info Fridolin Somers, Biblibre, France
14:16:48 <JesseM> #info Jesse Maseto, ByWater Solutions
14:16:56 <tcohen> hi JesseM
14:17:05 <JesseM> Morning tcohen
14:17:08 <oleonard> Oh hi Mengu, I didn't recognize your IRC nick!
14:17:20 <mng1> No problem oleonard
14:17:40 <fridolin1> mng1: nice to see u ;)
14:17:50 <mng1> nice to see you all !
14:18:09 <kidclamp> #topic Announcements
14:18:26 <kidclamp> Happy Galentine's day!
14:18:35 <kidclamp> anyone have anything to announce?
14:18:40 * fridolin1 wants to point Bug 22204
14:18:40 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=22204 normal, P5 - low, ---, fridolin.somers, ASSIGNED , Leading spaces in barcode should not allowed in cataloguing
14:19:01 <fridolin1> dirty bug, we need controls and surely data validation
14:19:02 <kidclamp> :+1
14:19:07 <oleonard> I would like to announce that I'm super excited about Bug 22318 and will be asking for help with some of the details
14:19:07 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=22318 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Extend Koha news feature to include other content areas
14:19:09 <fridolin1> any help is welcomed
14:19:53 <kidclamp> #info frido champions bug 22204
14:19:57 <tcohen> fridolin1: we should allow having barcode filters using plugins
14:20:07 <kidclamp> #info oleonard praises bug 22318
14:20:15 <kidclamp> only one bug will win!
14:20:18 <fridolin1> tcohen: not force trim  ?
14:20:43 <fridolin1> its pointless to have spaces in a barcode since its used with a scanner no  ?
14:20:45 <tcohen> I agree to trim
14:20:57 <fridolin1> and circulation does auto trim
14:21:25 <fridolin1> should(can) it be forced in BD unique key ?
14:21:41 <kidclamp> Code39 does support spaces (just saying)
14:21:43 <tcohen> but I've seen libraries that had (for historical reasons) wrong barcodes on hteir phisical materials, and being able to have filter rules through a plugin woul dbe great
14:22:01 <fridolin1> kidclamp: but leading or trailling ones ?
14:22:09 <kidclamp> I don't think it cares
14:22:18 <kidclamp> I am not arguing against you here, only mentioning
14:22:26 <fridolin1> yep no pb ;)
14:22:41 <magnuse> #info Magnus Enger, Libriotech, Norway
14:22:45 <fridolin1> ok so feel free to discuss/cc on bug
14:23:14 <fridolin1> i will work on it when i can
14:23:21 <fridolin1> next
14:23:41 <kidclamp> moving on?
14:23:50 <tcohen> can i
14:24:21 <tcohen> After we decided to create a /plublic namespace on the API for unprivileged access
14:24:52 <tcohen> several bugs were filed to deal with existing endpoints, they are trivial, check if some needs attention so
14:25:04 <tcohen> they can be pushed soon and we move forward
14:25:24 <tcohen> ashimema++ for helping there
14:25:34 * ashimema walked a certain amount of that tree this morning doing SO/QA.. thanks tcohen for working on them to date
14:25:44 <kidclamp> ashimema++
14:25:48 <fridolin1> cool
14:25:48 <kidclamp> tcohen++
14:26:32 <fridolin1> Bug 22218 i think
14:26:32 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=22218 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, ASSIGNED , Make endpoints not in /public require privileged credentials [OMNIBUS]
14:27:44 <tcohen> I will add a test so no one adds unprivileged access endpoints outside /public
14:28:04 <fridolin1> tcohen++
14:28:04 <tcohen> qa tools? just t/ ?
14:28:29 <fridolin1> QA tools id say
14:29:07 <kidclamp> #info tcohen is working on the public api endpoint and making sure all others are authenticated
14:29:16 <kidclamp> #info please help keep those moving
14:29:24 <kidclamp> anyone else?
14:30:02 <kidclamp> #topic Update from the Release Manager (19.05)
14:30:17 <kidclamp> I am working on catching up to the queue and keeping things moving
14:30:33 <kidclamp> some follows up have been filed since mana was pushed - please help work on those to polishg that before release
14:30:41 <kidclamp> is alex_a looking inot the searchign frido?
14:31:17 <fridolin1> what ?
14:31:20 <kidclamp> jenkins failures on D8 are due to versions I believe - do we need to do anythhing there tcohen?
14:31:29 <ashimema> :)
14:31:38 <kidclamp> bug 22222
14:31:38 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=22222 major, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Mana subscription search always returns all results
14:32:18 <fridolin1> alex is on mana amoung other things yep
14:32:41 <kidclamp> cool, thanks
14:33:05 <kidclamp> I have been digging into ES again as we are testing in production, QA eyes on anything that comes through would be appreciated
14:33:25 <tcohen> fridolin1: if someone is willing to fix those failing tests, I volunteer to help reproduce the context in which they are run
14:33:30 <kidclamp> API work is coming along nicely so just more kudos to tcohen and others for work there
14:33:43 <tcohen> josef_moravec++
14:33:46 <tcohen> ashimema++
14:33:54 <tcohen> khall++
14:34:00 <kidclamp> that's all I have in my brain at the moment
14:34:10 <kidclamp> #info praise to all for work on the API
14:34:16 <ashimema> I've been looking agian at ES stuff this morning.. but only jsut started
14:34:23 <kidclamp> #info please keep ES bugs moving along, things are iimrpoving greatly
14:34:42 <kidclamp> #info Mana needs followup work so that it is working well at release, please help there if able
14:34:44 * ere_away has been really busy but intends to attack some ES issues soon
14:35:03 * kidclamp waves at ere_away
14:35:18 <ere_away> hi kidclamp!
14:35:38 * ashimema has recently reached out to ES to see if they fancy sending an expert to give tuition/talks at kohacon workshops
14:35:55 <ashimema> also asked ere for any personal recommendations of people who might fit the bill there too.. hope you got my email ere
14:35:58 <kidclamp> oh and before passing, jsut want to praise the maintainers too - ashimema has been backporting really useful stuff and jesse and lukeg are keeping up well :-) thanks to frido too for keeping 17.11 healthy
14:36:18 <ashimema> aww. shucks
14:36:28 <JesseM> thx kidclamp :)
14:36:39 <ere> ashimema: Got it, but couldn't reply yet. Sorry! I don't know anyone, though..
14:37:16 <ashimema> keep 'em coming QA and SO people.. SO somehow feels a little slow at the moment to me.. but perhaps that's just perspective
14:37:36 <ashimema> no worries.. was an 'on the off chance' email..
14:37:44 <ashimema> all good.. i've reached out to a few peeps
14:37:51 <ashimema> next?
14:37:57 * oleonard and his hoard of NSO patches thinks SO is slow ;)
14:38:05 <kidclamp> #topic Updates from the Release Maintainers
14:38:21 <kidclamp> you're up Mr Martin
14:38:25 <ere> I'd like to attract attention to bug 13937
14:38:25 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=13937 new feature, P5 - low, ---, ere.maijala, Needs Signoff , Add an Elasticsearch-compatible Z39.50/SRU daemon that can inject item status MARC subfields
14:38:47 <kidclamp> ere++
14:38:59 <ashimema> 18.11 is going nicely, aiming to freeze again on the 15th (though i've not touched base yet with 18.05 and 17.11 maintainers to check that works for everyone)
14:39:20 <ere> I'm sure many would like this, as it's afaik the last obstacle to turning off Zebra
14:39:34 <ashimema> :)
14:39:36 <ashimema> ere++
14:40:24 <ashimema> #info 18.11 ship is sailing well.. next string freeze aiming at the 15th for release on 22nd (pending other rmaints agreement)
14:40:34 <ashimema> over to you JesseM
14:41:17 <fridolin1> ere++
14:41:27 <JesseM> #info 18.05 everything is going awesome over here.
14:41:56 <ashimema> anything to say fridolin1
14:42:01 <fridolin1> yep
14:42:15 * fridolin1 minising translation work on 17.11.x
14:42:20 <ere> Another one that I'd like to get moving on (unrelated to ES) is bug 11529
14:42:20 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=11529 normal, P5 - low, ---, ere.maijala, Needs Signoff , Add subtitle, medium and part fields to biblio table
14:42:48 <ere> The above helps avoid parsing MARC record all the time for subtitle, which should help e.g. load checkouts faster
14:42:52 <fridolin1> i think i will manage 17.11.x until april
14:43:07 <fridolin1> last release with 19.05.x first release
14:43:13 <kidclamp> do you know what numebr that will be?
14:44:00 <fridolin1> heuu
14:44:21 <fridolin1> kidclamp: i'd say 17.11.18 will be last
14:44:35 <kidclamp> #info 17.11 finlar release will be 17.11.18, coinciding with release of 19.05
14:44:40 <kidclamp> thanks for keeping it up so long
14:44:42 <fridolin1> i may set 2 month between 17.11.17 and .18 to be sure
14:44:54 <fridolin1> i'm glad to
14:45:40 <fridolin1> dont hesitate to mail me for something you need in 17.11 before it ends ;
14:45:41 <fridolin1> ;)
14:45:46 <kidclamp> #topic Updates from the Release Maintainers
14:45:59 <kidclamp> #topic Updates from the QA Team
14:46:01 <kidclamp> oops
14:46:04 * fridolin1 done
14:46:10 <fridolin1> you can go next
14:46:15 <kidclamp> cait is in Miami?
14:46:22 <ashimema> Nope
14:46:23 <kidclamp> or just not here
14:46:31 <ashimema> She's just in meetings allot today
14:46:47 <kidclamp> cait says we are all the best and that she will do all the QA
14:46:47 <ashimema> She's doing a great job sending her weekly emails
14:47:04 <kidclamp> #info thanks for Cait for keeping up the emails and the team for following up on them
14:47:11 <ashimema> But I think she's feeling a bit dispirited that not much of the stuff she's highlighting has got looked at much recently
14:47:32 * ashimema has tried to get on the case there though, but would appreciate more QA team action 😉
14:47:35 <kidclamp> #info please read them and give attention to highlighted bugs
14:47:54 <ashimema> Ta
14:48:28 <kidclamp> the scuttlebutt is that Joubu returns soon too, I think we all miss his input
14:48:34 <ashimema> She's trying hard to keep a reasonable mix of old bugs and new to keep the old stuff moving but also ensure new stuff no longer sits awaiting too long
14:48:39 <ashimema> Good balancing act cait
14:48:43 <kidclamp> cait++
14:48:55 <ashimema> cait++
14:49:43 <kidclamp> moving on?
14:49:51 <thd> #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
14:50:12 <kidclamp> hithd
14:50:15 <kidclamp> hi thd
14:50:21 <thd> hello
14:50:21 <ashimema> go for it
14:50:21 <kidclamp> #topic General development discussion (trends, ideas, ...)
14:50:30 <kidclamp> tcohen
14:50:49 <kidclamp> woops, didn't realize I was away
14:50:54 <tcohen> I am here
14:51:28 <kidclamp> #link https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Holds_suspension_endpoint_RFC Holds suspension endpoint RFC
14:51:36 <tcohen> I proposed that
14:51:45 <kidclamp> anyeone have any discussion of the endpoint?
14:51:53 <tcohen> the idea which I raised this for
14:51:56 <ashimema> it seemed sane to me.. enough that I actually already signed off the bug not realising it hadn't been voted yet
14:52:30 <tcohen> is to highlight that some 'attributes' on a resource, should be considered resources themselves, thus hiding the internals of how a hold suspension is processed (internally)
14:52:47 <tcohen> and exposing a readable and understandable aPI
14:53:13 <ashimema> :+1:
14:53:26 <tcohen> I also wanted to talk about /expanded
14:53:27 <kidclamp> :+1
14:53:39 <tcohen> but didn't spend the time to add it to the agenda
14:53:41 <tcohen> he
14:53:57 <kidclamp> did you see cait's note too - suspension_date instead of expiration_date?
14:54:25 <kidclamp> I think that makes sense
14:55:43 <ashimema> I actually prefer expiration_date myself
14:56:04 <ashimema> it's on an api route for 'suspensions' so the route gives the context
14:56:12 <tcohen> I prefer expiration_date, because we treat the suspension as a resource
14:56:19 <thd> I am not certain that suspension_date conveys the expiration meaning.
14:56:25 <ashimema> for me 'suspension_date' sounds like the date a suspension would start.. not end
14:56:42 <thd> ashimema++
14:56:45 <ere> start_date .. end_date
14:56:47 <ashimema> happy to comment as such in the RFC
14:57:00 <tcohen> ere: agreed
14:58:23 <kidclamp> so - start_date .. end_date and we can vote? I am assuming start_date defaults to tday and end_date defaults to never?
14:58:44 <ashimema> +1
14:58:56 <ashimema> do we use start_date/end_date anywhere else?
14:59:10 <ashimema> possably/probably.. just be nice to be consistent
14:59:39 * ashimema runs off after puppy as he's just raided the shoe rack
15:00:08 * ashimema puppy 0 : ashimeme 1
15:00:18 <thd> I presume that context is always present for the endpoint use.
15:00:30 <ashimema> should be
15:01:10 <thd> ... Thus as long as the name is sufficiently descriptive the context for the descriptive aspect is known.
15:01:54 <ashimema> yup
15:02:11 <thd> s/known/understood
15:02:15 <kidclamp> in a real life meeting too atm
15:02:25 <kidclamp> can you take the heml ashimema?
15:02:39 <ashimema> sure
15:02:57 <kidclamp> #chair ashimema
15:02:57 <huginn`> Current chairs: ashimema kidclamp
15:03:47 <ashimema> so.. did we want to vote on start_date/end_date vs expiration_date vs suspension_date?
15:04:08 <ashimema> it feels like we've already made a decision but a vote would be good to ratify that..
15:04:10 <ashimema> tcohen?
15:04:10 <wahanui> i heard tcohen was the man you want to thank
15:04:29 <oleonard> Thanks tcohen ;)
15:06:09 <thd> tcohen: Do you find end_date to be a better fit?
15:07:04 <tcohen> sorry
15:07:12 <tcohen> I'm in the middle of something else
15:07:49 <ashimema> happy to postpone this little conversation
15:07:57 <thd> Is there any need to set start_date as an endpoint?
15:08:25 <ashimema> I can see it being helpful should one want to select a particular period for the suspension ahead of time
15:08:38 <ashimema> like suspend it over a holiday period for example
15:08:59 <ashimema> but.. I've not looked at the underlying suspension code so I'm not even sure the underlying feature supports that as yet?
15:09:17 <tcohen> POST /holds/:hold_id/suspension { expiration_date: '2019-02-15' }
15:09:32 <ashimema> ack.. I have to go school run myself in 5 minutes
15:09:36 <tcohen> POST /holds/:hold_id/suspension {}
15:09:41 <tcohen> ^^ indefinite suspension
15:09:56 <tcohen> those are the two use cases in the code
15:10:16 <tcohen> then
15:10:23 <tcohen> DELETE /holds/:hold_id/suspension
15:10:26 <tcohen> to resume the hold
15:10:28 <ashimema> so a suspention is active whilst it has an end_date
15:10:41 <ashimema> there's not check for a starting point of the suspension
15:10:42 <ashimema> okies
15:11:20 <ashimema> I like the idea of 'end_date' as it's nice and generic and would go better with 'start_date' if we choose to impliment such a feature down the line
15:11:25 <ere> by the way, every other system treats suspension as an attribute/attribute set of the hold and doesn't have a separate endpoint for it. Why should it?
15:11:36 * ashimema can't think of a antinyme for 'expiration_date' off the top of his head
15:11:40 <ere> * system I know
15:12:18 <ashimema> it's to allow for smaller api calls and clearer feature distinction ere
15:12:31 <ashimema> it's somewhat of a REST style/principle..
15:13:05 <thd> tcohen: Would not the following seem better? POST /holds/:hold_id/suspension { end_date: '2019-02-15' }
15:13:09 <ashimema> but.. there's not a clear hard reason to do it either way.. and not real hard reason to not allow for both either.. though I like consistency if we can myself.
15:13:31 <ere> ashimema: It doesn't mean the API calls need to be massive. Like: PATCH { suspend_until: 'date' }. But yeah, no biggie.
15:13:42 <ashimema> ack.. is there anyone here who could take over chairing?
15:13:57 <ashimema> I need to pop out on school run.. hadn't apreciated the time when i offered to take over from kidclamp
15:14:02 <oleonard> Let's shut it down
15:14:13 <kidclamp> #chair oleonard
15:14:13 <huginn`> Current chairs: ashimema kidclamp oleonard
15:14:16 <kidclamp> :-)
15:14:30 <ashimema> ta kidclamp.. that was about to be my next move
15:14:32 <oleonard> :P
15:14:37 <ashimema> back in 20 mins folks.. sorry
15:14:38 <kidclamp> let's send an email about the endpoint as it seems we dont have consensus
15:14:53 <ashimema> +1
15:15:14 <thd> We might have a consensus but tcohen is distracted :)
15:15:21 <kidclamp> #info tabling Hold suspension - tcohen will send an email to get discussion
15:15:26 <ere> sorry for messing with you, I just threw the ideas at you without much thinking and not intending to cause trouble.. :)
15:15:46 <kidclamp> #topic Review of coding guidelines
15:16:03 <kidclamp> #info Update PERL2 for special case from 22026
15:16:08 <kidclamp> bug 22026
15:16:08 <huginn`> 04Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=22026 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jasmineamohia.student, RESOLVED FIXED, Remove `use  Modern::Perl` from Koha::REST::classes
15:16:42 <tcohen> I like ere's end_date too
15:18:11 <kidclamp> I think we don't have a qurorum to review this, table to next meeting?
15:18:25 <kidclamp> and hope the calendar works then and we get a crowd :-)
15:23:13 <kidclamp> #info tabling coding guidelines until next meeting
15:24:37 <kidclamp> #topic Set time of next meeting
15:24:59 * ashimema talks from the school gates
15:25:25 <kidclamp> #info Next meeting: 27 February 2019, 19 UTC
15:25:32 <ashimema> I'll make sure to add the meeting to the calendar as soon as we set it
15:25:32 <kidclamp> #endmeeting