13:13:24 <davidnind> #startmeeting Documentation IRC meeting 6 June 2019
13:13:24 <huginn`> Meeting started Thu Jun  6 13:13:24 2019 UTC.  The chair is davidnind. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:13:24 <huginn`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
13:13:24 <huginn`> The meeting name has been set to 'documentation_irc_meeting_6_june_2019'
13:13:24 <magnuse> for what it is worth
13:13:38 <davidnind> #topic Introductions
13:13:58 <davidnind> #info David Nind, Wellington, New Zealand
13:14:13 <ashimema> #info Martin Renvoize, PTFS-Europe
13:14:29 <lucyvh> #info Lucy Vaux-Harvey, PTFS Europe
13:14:32 <AndyBoze> #info Andy Boze, University of Notre Dame, USA
13:14:43 <oleonard> #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries, USA
13:16:43 <davidnind> Hi everyone, thanks for coming along, and apologies for the late start!
13:16:47 <davidnind> #topic Action points
13:17:11 <davidnind> #info Agenda https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Documentation_IRC_meeting_6_June_2019
13:18:26 <davidnind> No progress to report on my actions points, so I think I will skip over these
13:19:29 <caroline_catlady> #info Caroline Cyr La Rose, inLibro
13:19:35 <caroline_catlady> Hi sorry I'm late!
13:19:42 <davidnind> Will try and get on top of these in the next few days, particularly the list of suggested tasks to work on (from easy to hard)
13:19:54 <davidnind> hi caroline_catlady!
13:20:24 <davidnind> no worries, we started a but late because of "technical difficulties" on my end!
13:20:47 <davidnind> #topic What's been done so far
13:21:36 <davidnind> I've added a quick update on the agenda, but to summarise...
13:22:15 <davidnind> there was kohacon...
13:22:44 <davidnind> I've not done much, apart from some minor updates
13:23:15 <caroline_catlady> Before KohaCon, I updated taiga with the release notes
13:24:06 <davidnind> caroline_catalady++
13:24:50 <davidnind> it is a bit of a mission trying to keep all the things pushed updated on taiga!
13:24:51 <caroline_catlady> yeah ,that's about all I did for the whole cycle, so no ++ for me
13:25:00 <davidnind> ashimema added a section to the intro on contributing to Koha
13:25:18 <ashimema> :)
13:25:20 <davidnind> every little but helps, and everyone has been busy I think
13:25:35 <lucyvh> Thanks for adding me to the Taiga team btw.  I've not had chance to do any updates though
13:26:25 <davidnind> sorry that took so long, AndyBoze is added now as well
13:26:51 <caroline_catlady> davidnind: did I make you admin on taiga?
13:26:52 <cait> #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ
13:27:00 <AndyBoze> I've been trying to get prepared for working on documentation, so I'd love to tackle some of the easier things to get started.
13:27:15 <caroline_catlady> Also, did you get merging rights on gitlab?
13:27:22 <davidnind> caroline_catalady: yes you did!
13:27:28 <cait> and davidnind did a great presentation and capitalization updates
13:27:45 <caroline_catlady> yes awesome presentation! davidnind++
13:28:17 <davidnind> caroline_catlady: not yet I think for merging rights (although I haven't tried!)
13:28:28 <caroline_catlady> ok, let me check right now
13:29:11 <davidnind> thanks, not the greatest at presentations...
13:29:45 <caroline_catlady> it didn't show, it was great
13:30:21 <davidnind> also did a "workshop" at kohacon, which was more of a presentation on adding text for the release notes in bugzilla and the easy way to edit the manual on GitLab
13:30:30 <davidnind> :-D
13:30:34 <cait> davidnind++
13:30:37 <cait> we shoudl probably #info more
13:30:41 <oleonard> If it doesn't look to others like you're bad at presentations it means you're good at presentations
13:31:00 <cait> #info Kohacon had a documentation presentation and a workshop, thelatter focusing on release notes in bugzilla and editing with gitlab
13:31:21 <davidnind> thanks cait, I forget to do those!
13:31:26 <cait> #info davidnind to get merging rights on gitlab
13:31:37 <cait> who do go to for taiga access?
13:31:40 <cait> just for the info
13:31:44 <cait> i got it :)
13:31:46 * ashimema apologises the 'workshops' didn't go as to plan as I'd hoped.. I wanted to try and make them more interactive but on the day the facilities didn't really lend themselve to it.
13:32:21 <caroline_catlady> for taiga, I guess any team manager present or past
13:32:25 <caroline_catlady> :)
13:32:35 <caroline_catlady> so lee, me or david
13:32:42 <davidnind> it still worked out okay in the end with the workshops
13:32:49 <cait> #info If you need to get access to taige, ask caroline_catlady, davidnind or Lee
13:33:17 <cait> shoudl we got ot the action points?
13:33:28 <davidnind> there was a lot of interest in getting started with editing the manual
13:34:09 <davidnind> cait: I skipped over those as I haven't made much progress on those...
13:34:23 <cait> ah ok
13:34:29 <cait> i got a question :)
13:34:31 <caroline_catlady> after talking with severine and lucyvh, I think we should do a "git for librarians" section
13:34:38 <cait> do we refrain from updating screenshots until we have figured out automation?
13:34:56 <caroline_catlady> to explain the process because for most of us, git isn't a part of our day to day and may be hard to get a hold of
13:35:26 <caroline_catlady> (on the wiki I mean, not in the manual)
13:35:39 <cait> would you be able to write it?
13:35:42 <cait> not sure what is needed
13:35:48 <caroline_catlady> cait: unless we need a new one right?
13:35:53 <caroline_catlady> (screeshots)
13:36:02 * ashimema is happy to help but would need guidance as to what sort of thing you needed
13:36:09 <cait> i was not sure about the guideline (screenshots) - my coworker was filing bugs for outdated ones
13:36:14 <cait> so we got stuck ont he question how to fix them
13:36:26 <davidnind> agree, we also talked about having a visual guide or diagram of the git workflow
13:36:29 <ashimema> what sorts of tasks you're wanting to carry out and then I can advice on how best to approach them
13:37:15 <davidnind> for screenshots, I think just manually updating them at the moment until I get the automated part sorted out
13:38:23 <caroline_catlady> re: git: this is a course I followed when I first started here, and it clears it up a lot (though I still need my git sensei at work) https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/code-school-git-real
13:38:27 <cait> #info manually updating screenshots is ok, until automation is sorted out
13:38:36 <davidnind> #action create a section on git for beginners for editing  manual, aimed at those who aren't familiar with git
13:38:48 <cait> i think codeacademy has a free git tutorial as well
13:38:51 <caroline_catlady> #link https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/code-school-git-real
13:39:09 <caroline_catlady> this is the one, codecademy ws merged with pluralsight
13:39:53 <cait> oh!
13:40:19 <caroline_catlady> oh no nevermind, its codeschool that was merged
13:40:28 <cait> #link https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-git
13:41:10 <davidnind> I like this one too http://ohshitgit.com/
13:41:37 <cait> #link http://ohshitgit.com/
13:41:51 <davidnind> I guess pulling together some of the useful guides for beginners would be useful as well
13:42:28 <davidnind> luncyvh and AndyBoze: is git something you are familiar with?
13:43:03 <lucyvh> No, I'd never used it until I started doing the manual
13:43:13 <AndyBoze> I've only had a little experience with git, and nothing too recent.
13:44:05 <lucyvh> I think those links will be really useful - particularly the last one!
13:44:11 <caroline_catlady> there's this, but it seems really detailed https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Version_Control_Using_Git
13:44:18 <davidnind> perfect for providing feedback on anything we come up with, or on Editing the Koha Manual page!
13:46:37 <davidnind> just to finish ff the agenda item, rangi has made some changes on gitlab so that if you fork the repository you don't get continuous integration errors when you make a change
13:46:48 <davidnind> ff s/be off!
13:46:49 <cait> yay!
13:47:05 <cait> #info gitlab configuration has been fixed so forking doesn't give you CI errors
13:47:16 <caroline_catlady> is that the pipeline fials?
13:47:20 <cait> yep
13:47:25 <caroline_catlady> woohoo!
13:47:31 <caroline_catlady> rangi++
13:48:02 <davidnind> I just did something yesterday to test it out, and I didn't get any of the errors
13:48:56 <davidnind> I guess to summarise we need to make it as easy as possible for people to get up to speed (in a gentle way) using git and the workflow
13:50:26 <davidnind> and I need to put together a list of tasks from easy to harder that people to get started on
13:51:14 <davidnind> #action davidnind to put together a list of documentation tasks from easy to harder to help those getting started
13:51:42 <davidnind> any other thoughts before we move onto the next agenda item?
13:52:26 <davidnind> #topic Workflow
13:52:52 <davidnind> I think we've covered this, unless anyone has anything to add or any more ideas?
13:53:52 <davidnind> #topic Next steps
13:54:08 <davidnind> I think I
13:54:38 <davidnind> I think I'll skip over translation - I haven't got my head around how this works...
13:54:43 <davidnind> yet...
13:55:59 <cait> we are actively wrking on the German tarnslation for 18.11 currently
13:56:22 <davidnind> excellent!
13:56:22 <wahanui> darn tootin' it is.
13:57:09 <davidnind> do you feedback into the english version where you find it difficult to translate the text?
13:57:20 <caroline_catlady> I know the fr-FR team is working on the french version a lot... not so much for fr-CA
13:58:05 <davidnind> #info active work being done on German and fr-FR translations
13:58:07 <caroline_catlady> I instructed the fr-FR team to open bugs on bugzilla if they found typos or things that needed work
13:59:57 <davidnind> that's great, english-only speakers can get lazy when we write!
14:00:56 <davidnind> #info raise bugs on bugzilla for any text that is difficult to translate or where there are typos
14:00:59 <caroline_catlady> that's fine, everyone makes typos. It's just that when we translate, it's one sentence at a time, so it's obvious
14:01:19 <cait> davidnind: mostly my coworker doing translation right now, he filed bugs for screenshots at least
14:01:57 <cait> yeah, true for the typos
14:02:54 <davidnind> great, I'll make sure I pick those up, add to taiga, and be  a bit more responsive
14:03:25 <davidnind> For the 19.05 release I'm conscious of trying to get the new features such as mana and the changes to system preference incorporated
14:04:10 <davidnind> There should be tasks in taiga (thanks caroline_catlady!) for all of these
14:04:32 <davidnind> So if you are looking for something to do, this may be a good place to start
14:04:51 * ashimema is going to slowly ramp up the requirement for original bug submitter to at least submit a first cut manual entry
14:05:35 <caroline_catlady> ashimema is getting his whip ready lol
14:06:01 <davidnind> ashimema: that would be great, even if it is a text file or something attached to the bug would provide a great starting point
14:06:21 <davidnind> has anyone got any ideas on specific priorities, or things they want covered first?
14:06:47 <lucyvh> Sorry, I have to drop out of the meeting for school run - bye for now
14:06:59 <davidnind> thanks lucyvh!
14:07:30 <davidnind> apologies for going over, I'm conscious hat you are all working at the moment I think!
14:07:47 <cait> maybe sysprefs, notices
14:07:54 <cait> those are quick and i think might be often looked up
14:08:36 <davidnind> #info things to work on for 19.05 release - system preference changes and notices
14:09:11 <davidnind> #info other things to work on are the new features
14:10:06 <davidnind> is everyone able to hang in there for a few minutes to do the koha-docs mailing list or would you prefer just to set the time for the next meeting?
14:10:27 <caroline_catlady> I'm around anyway
14:10:33 * ashimema is still listening
14:10:45 <davidnind> thanks!
14:10:49 <davidnind> #topic Other items
14:10:51 <AndyBoze> I can stay.
14:12:01 <davidnind> I sent a message to the mailing list about making the archive open https://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/koha-docs/2019-June/thread.html
14:12:37 <davidnind> the feedback was all in agreement (thanks for those that provided it!)
14:13:07 <davidnind> does anyone have anything they would like to add, or should we just vote on it?
14:13:35 <davidnind> (have always wanted to runga vote thingy!)
14:13:44 <davidnind> if it is something we need to vote on...
14:13:49 <caroline_catlady> if everyone is in agreement, I would say go ahead, but we can vote too
14:14:51 <davidnind> I'll start a vote...
14:14:53 <davidnind> #startvote Do you agree to making the koha-docs mailing list archive open? Yes, No, Abstain
14:14:53 <huginn`> Begin voting on: Do you agree to making the koha-docs mailing list archive open? Valid vote options are Yes, No, Abstain.
14:14:53 <huginn`> Vote using '#vote OPTION'. Only your last vote counts.
14:15:04 <davidnind> #vote Yes
14:15:21 <caroline_catlady> #vote Yes
14:15:25 <AndyBoze> #vote Yes
14:15:42 <ashimema> #vote Yes
14:16:45 <davidnind> #endvote
14:16:45 <huginn`> Voted on "Do you agree to making the koha-docs mailing list archive open?" Results are
14:16:45 <huginn`> Yes (4): ashimema, davidnind, caroline_catlady, AndyBoze
14:17:10 <caroline_catlady> does anyone else have a security warning when going to that page?
14:17:21 <davidnind> #agreed The koha-docs mailing list archive will be made open
14:17:45 <oleonard> caroline_catlady: Yes. Self-issued SSL certificate.
14:18:02 <caroline_catlady> ok, glad to know it's not just me :)
14:18:07 <oleonard> Self-issued by Biblibre, so it's just a technicality. But unfortunate.
14:18:23 <caroline_catlady> I'd already sent an email to paul
14:18:39 <caroline_catlady> but that was weeks ago, I was wondering if they were able to reproduce
14:19:05 <davidnind> I didn't notice as I added an exception probably ages ago...
14:20:51 <davidnind> maybe add on bugzilla under the  infrastructure area
14:21:19 <cait> oh oops sorry, yes from me too!
14:21:25 <cait> for the archive
14:21:35 <davidnind> thanks cait!
14:22:21 <davidnind> #action mailing list website security certificate causes browser errors, raise an issue on bugzilla
14:22:31 <davidnind> #topic Set time for next meeting
14:23:19 <davidnind> The general IRC meeting is a week later because of US holidays, should we do the same?
14:23:40 <davidnind> that would make it 11 July 2019
14:23:54 <davidnind> any is everyone happy with this time?
14:24:16 <AndyBoze> It's good for me.
14:24:22 <caroline_catlady> I am away training that week, but feel free to hold it sans moi
14:25:30 <davidnind> happy to keep to the normal time which would be 4 July
14:26:01 <AndyBoze> 4 July works for me, too.
14:26:08 <davidnind> we have no more public holidays until October in NZ  :-(
14:26:28 <davidnind> thanks AndyBoze!
14:26:50 <davidnind> #info Next meeting 4 July 2019 13:00 UTC
14:26:57 <davidnind> #endmeeting