18:01:02 <caroline> #startmeeting Documentation IRC meeting 10 December 2020
18:01:02 <huginn> Meeting started Thu Dec 10 18:01:02 2020 UTC.  The chair is caroline. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:01:02 <huginn> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
18:01:02 <huginn> The meeting name has been set to 'documentation_irc_meeting_10_december_2020'
18:01:11 <caroline> #link https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Documentation_IRC_meeting_10_December_2020
18:01:23 <caroline> #topic Introductions
18:01:31 <caroline> please use "#info" in front of your introduction to have it show up in the automatic minutes
18:01:48 <caroline> #info Caroline Cyr La Rose, inLibro, Montréal Qc Canada
18:01:54 <marie-luce> #info Marie-Luce Laflamme, inlibro Montreal
18:02:19 <lucyvh> #info Lucy Vaux-Harvey, PTFS Europe
18:02:31 <caroline> hi lucyvh!
18:02:55 <lucyvh> Hi there
18:02:55 <wahanui> hello, lucyvh
18:03:07 <marie-luce> hi lucyvh
18:03:23 <ashimema> Evening
18:03:38 <ashimema> #info Martin Renvoize, PTFS Europe
18:04:04 <thd> #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City [sometime employer died, leaving tens of thousands of books mess to clean up.]
18:05:01 <caroline> #topic  Review of action points
18:05:03 <thd> If anyone could use thousands of books and can collect them from just north of New York city please let me know.
18:05:40 <caroline> I will skip david's as he's not here
18:05:49 <caroline> davidnind will check how we can use gitlab to simplify the workflow
18:05:54 <caroline> #action davidnind will check how we can use gitlab to simplify the workflow
18:06:21 <caroline> next was me, I was supposed to check with ashimema on how to best insert the docs writing into the workflow
18:06:39 <caroline> I think we settled on the Manual keyword that will be added
18:06:53 <caroline> QA people can add it
18:06:54 <koha-jenkins> Project Koha_19.11_D9 build #280: SUCCESS in 44 min: https://jenkins.koha-community.org/job/Koha_19.11_D9/280/
18:07:19 <caroline> I will also look through what is pushed to master to add the keyword
18:07:40 <caroline> So writers, Taiga will not be used for the 21.05 cycle
18:07:55 <caroline> #info Taiga will not be used for the 21.05 cycle
18:08:08 <caroline> #info Use bugzilla and search for the Manual keyword
18:08:20 <lucyvh> No more epics :(
18:08:37 <caroline> The manual will be epic no need for Taiga ;)
18:08:50 <caroline> You can still use Taiga to look for older things to add
18:09:14 <lucyvh> True
18:09:55 <caroline> cait1 and ashimema were supposed to look into cleaning up the Manual keywords already in bugzilla to start anew
18:09:58 <caroline> this has been done
18:10:24 <caroline> #info all old Manual keywords were removed from bugzilla to start anew with the 21.05 cycle
18:11:21 <caroline> I was supposed to modify the "Documentation to-do" search on bz's main page to include Manual keywords
18:11:49 <caroline> not done, not sure if I can do it on my own or if cait1 needs to do it since she was the one who added it
18:12:03 <caroline> #action  change the Documentation to-do search on bz main page to include Documentation component OR manual keyword
18:12:29 <caroline> I was supposed to document the new workflow, which I didn't do either... :(
18:12:36 <caroline> #action  caroline will document workflow for 21.05
18:12:53 <marie-luce> I could give a hand
18:13:22 <caroline> But basically, it's what I said earlier, for writers, the only change is that ehnacements and new features will not be copied to Taiga, we will use the Manual keyword
18:13:48 <caroline> Once you've put in the merge request, you can remove the Manual keyword from the bug
18:13:55 <caroline> I hope that makes sense
18:14:19 <caroline> anyone, interrupt me if you have questions... I feel like i'm giving a speech rather than participating in a meeting lol!
18:14:38 <lucyvh> Workflow sounds fine
18:14:59 <caroline> last action point from last meeting was to divide the the syspref file because it is getting too big
18:15:29 <caroline> I started this, but haven't finished... I will try to work on ituntil next meeting
18:15:41 <caroline> #action  caroline (or anyone) to divide the syspref file as it is getting too big for updates through gitlab GUI
18:15:53 <lucyvh> Is there anything I can do to help with this?
18:16:24 <caroline> hm... I thought I had to do it in one go, but we can do it bit by bit
18:16:54 <caroline> if you add a new syspref maybe create the file for that section?
18:17:03 <caroline> I don't know if that would be too confusing for users
18:17:07 <caroline> probably...
18:17:07 <wahanui> i guess probably is too hard.
18:17:26 <caroline> wahanui agrees lol!
18:17:26 <wahanui> caroline: excuse me?
18:17:35 <lucyvh> If I know the steps I'm happy to give it a go
18:17:56 <lucyvh> As I'm the one who complained about it!
18:18:16 <caroline> I will try to do it in one go over the holidays, but if I can't I'll write how to do it bit by bit and we can all pitch in
18:18:21 <caroline> does that sound good?
18:18:38 <lucyvh> Sounds good, thanks caroline
18:18:48 <caroline> +1
18:18:52 <marie-luce> +1
18:19:07 <caroline> #topic  Project updates
18:19:18 <caroline> anyone have updates on ongoing projects?
18:19:59 <thd> I am still expecting some partially isolated time for wiki around January.
18:20:34 <ashimema> Minor translation workflow improvements as discussed earlier
18:20:56 <thd> Helping family with a mess after sometime employer's death is stealing all my time currently.
18:21:38 <ashimema> I.e. let you do merges via the gitlab UI for the translation pull request tool
18:22:11 <caroline> yes so the new workflow is pull request from the tool, then merge in gitlab, right?
18:22:25 <ashimema> Yup
18:22:48 <caroline> #info new workflow for translations: pull from https://translate.koha-community.org/tools/ then merge in gitlab
18:22:56 <ashimema> I'm just waiting on the OK from Bernardo for me to update his server.. sure he'll be happy for me to but it's polite to ask ;)
18:23:28 <caroline> thanks ashimema++ for helping on this :D
18:24:36 <caroline> #topic  What's been done so far
18:24:43 <caroline> anything else?
18:24:43 <wahanui> it has been said that anything else is necessarily going to be incremental.
18:25:29 <caroline> Project updates and what's been done so far are so similar... I never know the difference
18:25:53 <thd> I used the former designation.
18:25:55 <caroline> I guess what's been done so far is smaller things not related to major projects
18:26:47 <caroline> If there is nothing else, we'll move on
18:26:49 <caroline> #topic  Content development guidelines
18:27:10 <caroline> I think we talked about adding alt text to images last time
18:27:34 <caroline> #link https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/ReStructuredText_-_Tips_and_Tricks#Images
18:27:40 <caroline> I've added it here
18:28:05 <lucyvh> +1
18:28:08 <caroline> From now on, if you update an image or add a new image, remember to add the alt text tot
18:28:10 <caroline> too
18:28:44 <marie-luce> +1
18:29:00 <caroline> I was thinking maybe it would be a good time to change the image naming/numbering convention?
18:29:33 <caroline> Incremental names are easy, but they cause problems when people work on the manual at the same time
18:29:55 <caroline> We talked about this some years ago, but no decision was taken
18:30:15 <caroline> I was wondering if anyone had suggestions/comments/ideas/objections?
18:30:49 <lucyvh> That sounds like a good idea
18:31:04 <lucyvh> I struggle with the images
18:31:57 <lucyvh> I was thinking it might be better to update images in sections, rather than piecemeal.  So do a couple of sections each release?
18:32:21 <lucyvh> Maybe not practical though
18:32:45 <caroline> Good idea
18:33:11 <caroline> I don't think it's even thinkable to update this all in one go... we have over 1500 images
18:33:32 <caroline> Like alt text, we can do it bit by bit as we update
18:33:37 <lucyvh> Yep
18:34:30 <caroline> what would be a good convention, instead of imageXXXX, do we add the chapter? Or simply give it a name?
18:34:46 <caroline> ACQXXXX or ACQ-budgetscreen ?
18:35:13 <caroline> or just budgetscreen
18:35:21 <lucyvh> Just the filename?
18:36:05 <caroline> yeah, I don't see any downsides to the filename
18:36:39 <caroline> I would like to have them organized... just so that it's not one loooooong list
18:36:54 <caroline> maybe we could separate them like they are in the directory?
18:37:09 <marie-luce> by koha module?
18:37:10 <lucyvh> Good idea
18:37:23 <caroline> module and then under each, filename, filename, etc
18:38:24 <marie-luce> sounds good, much easier to locate in a directory than the whole liste
18:38:32 <lucyvh> Split up as they are in source/ images?
18:38:33 <caroline> Ok so how about this, if you update or add a new image, use the filename instead of imageXXXX
18:38:48 <caroline> and add the module section if it's not already there
18:38:58 <caroline> makes sense?
18:39:21 <thd> Something like semantic_something-semantic_something_else-number would give a smaller more manageable scope to numbers.
18:39:46 <marie-luce> is there a character limit on file name?
18:39:59 <lucyvh> +1
18:40:01 <caroline> I don't think so
18:40:19 <thd> there is a character limit on URIs
18:40:29 <caroline> how many?
18:41:22 <thd> URI character limit is hundreds of characters and not easily reached except by automated extension of naming.
18:41:27 * oleonard whispers "Too many to worry about"
18:41:42 <thd> Filenames have an OS limit.
18:42:50 <caroline> ok, I don't think we need to worry about this... we already have 60 characters in our URL for images, then if a filename is too big, we'll have to worry about it on a case by case basis
18:43:55 <caroline> I like the idea of the filename
18:44:09 <thd> MS Windows has the biggest constraint on filenames where some low level systems could still be tied to old MS DOS pathname limits such as 255 characters for the full path.
18:44:19 <caroline> without the extension
18:44:31 <caroline> so filename rather than filename.png
18:44:57 <lucyvh> OKay
18:45:32 <caroline> #agreed use filename rather than imageXXXX for image aliases and separate like they are in the directory
18:46:00 <marie-luce> +1
18:46:06 <caroline> #info when updating or adding a new image, use the filename and if the section is not already created, create it
18:46:29 <caroline> yay! I'm so glad we're doing this! It's always bugged me
18:47:00 <caroline> We have some time left I wanted to talk about notes
18:47:00 <lucyvh> :)
18:47:18 <caroline> I noticed there is a command (or whatever it's called) to make notes look nice
18:47:33 <caroline> let me just find one
18:48:16 <caroline> https://koha-community.org/manual/20.11/en/html/installation.html#language-picker
18:48:25 <caroline> see the blue box?
18:48:34 <caroline> I think that looks really nice
18:49:03 <caroline> maybe we can change the color scheme, but even if we can't I think we should do notes like this
18:49:05 <thd> The URI character limit problem can be tripped over when using long and/or many GET strings after the question mark for a bookmarkable context.  Use POST requests but then bookmarkable context is more difficult.
18:49:07 <caroline> what do you think?
18:49:20 <marie-luce> it really does highlight the message
18:49:31 <lucyvh> Yes, looks good
18:50:19 <caroline> Ok I'll add the command on this page https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/ReStructuredText_-_Tips_and_Tricks
18:50:25 <lucyvh> And standardises the indenting which is good
18:50:45 <caroline> And I'll try to find out if there is a different one for "Important"
18:51:01 <marie-luce> warning, perhaps?
18:52:20 <caroline> #action caroline will add to the Rst tips and tricks page how to wirte notes
18:52:46 <caroline> #info going forward use the note command when adding notes to the manual
18:52:58 <caroline> ok cool! :D
18:53:21 <caroline> anything else?
18:53:21 <wahanui> anything else is, like, necessarily going to be incremental
18:54:07 <caroline> #topic  Next steps
18:54:37 <caroline> I don't think there are any major developments in 21.05 yet, so continue documenting 20.11
18:55:06 <caroline> #info Priorities : continue documenting 20.11 for the time being
18:55:15 <ashimema> You have at least a month ;)
18:55:27 <caroline> #info Check Taiga for things to write about :D
18:55:42 <ashimema> But also.. hopefully this time around Devs will be documenting as we go.. :)
18:56:08 <caroline> I like your optimism ashimema! :D
18:56:26 <marie-luce> :)
18:56:31 <caroline> #topic  Set time of next meeting
18:56:35 * ashimema will be trying to for his Devs anyways..
18:56:57 <ashimema> lucyvh, weay be calling on you for help there.. hebe
18:57:12 <caroline> 4 weeks from now is Jan 7, sound good?
18:57:40 <marie-luce> suits me
18:58:28 <caroline> today the meeting was at 18UTC, maybe we can do it earlier
18:58:33 <lucyvh> ashimena +1
18:58:46 <lucyvh> 7th Jan suits me
18:59:43 <caroline> #info Next meeting: 7 January 2021, 15 UTC
18:59:47 <caroline> #endmeeting